Daiwa Procyon Rod Review

Daiwa Procyon Rod Review
May 2018, Carl Garrard

Looking for an affordable high quality rod?
Let me say that I own rods or have bought rods from a different few brands now, and I've got well over 30+ years of bass and (ocean and freshwater) fishing experience. My number one priority with a bass rod is, and always has been, getting the most bang for the buck. That doesn't mean I'm willing to compromise action or feel because in fact, that is my co-number one priority. I'm looking for a high quality rod that gives you 90+% of the performance of a $400.00 rod, for a fraction of the cost. You'd  be surprised that there are quite a few models out there that fit that criteria that I'd probably recommend. Daiwa's Procyon (pro-cee-on) rods are one of a few moderate priced models that have caught my eye. Today I received my 7'3" MH (10-20lb) Procyon, and I have to say I was immediately impressed, although I wasn't prepared to be.

Daiwa 7' 3" MH PCY731MHFB Procyon BEST CURRENT PRICE

About the Procyon: I will say that the Procyon rods may not have a ton of the newer rods' features or fast action tips, but these are the very reasons to get a Procyon. They are a no frills, elegant looking rod that are touted as a multi-species stick. I'd actually challenge Daiwa on that definition because these indeed feel like largemouth bass rods. And compared to the Dobyns Fury 7'3" model ($30.00 more), they are lighter, have more durable blanks, and have a much better action by far over the Dobyn's. Add on top of that the better quality cork in the handle, smaller and stronger guides (titanium oxide), and a more comfortable fore/aft grip, and you have yourself one fine bang for the buck here for $69.99.  I noticed extreme sensitivity while also being a brute of a load bearing rod. That without feeling like a broomstick, it's super light and extremely well balanced! The blank feels more dense and durable than the Dobyn's but also feels lighter and more nimble. Daiwa's proprietary 24ton Hi Modulus blank is truly excellent. Here is a quick external video tour of the Procyon:



Save the suspense: Daiwa's Procyon may be the very best deal going for bass fisherman - so long as the action works for you (I'll explain). Example, this particular model would make an excellent frog rod, lighter swimbait or jig rod, or a big worm rod, and serve you equally well for all those baits. It's got a killer backbone and a very nice moderate to fast action. It's a more parabolic type of action along the blank so the tip will give you more effective immediate hook set power versus a fast/super fast action. The still rod has enough give so that you don't pull the hook, so don't worry. Another added bonus of the stiffer tip is that it will you twitch/hop those frogs with a more realistic action, and one that will free it from the muck with less effort on your wrist. Here is a quick video of how the action looks like on the Daiwa:



I can see myself and others using this rod for big plastics, heavier lipless crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwater stick baits, frogs, jigs (flipping too), just about anything but more finesse presentations... yet I would not hesitate to throw a Senko or Carolina rig with this rod either. It's just got this super nimble but equally durable and strong feel to it that is hard to explain, it makes you want to pick it up and go fishing with it. Heck, in a pinch it's even light enough to use for larger jerk baits, and I'm extremely picky about the type of rod I use for those.


Shown with the Tatula 150 which is nearly perfect for this length/action/power rod. Complete with hook keeper, and high quality cork fore/rear handle


I've replaced my Dobyn's Fury 7' 3" Heavy (my former frog rod) with this rod. Surprisingly the Fury felt heavy and lifeless in comparison, and that is really a nice rod too. Needless to say I wasn't expecting much with the Procyon, but I read good reviews from knowledgeable fisherman about how good this rod really is in comparison to their high dollar setups, so I took a gamble and got one. I've already ordered another so that I don't have to give double duty to one rod, which show's just how impressed I was with this rod right out of the gate. I've made plenty of practice casts on grass with it and I can already tell that when I get this on the water it's going to be a delight to use. The only problem is choosing what I use it for... decisions decisions. Buzzbait? Spinnerbait? Small swimbait or frog? YES to all.

You can see the exposed blank underneath for added sensitivity and it's got a very comfortable reel seat. And check out the super dense but soft high quality cork handle with very little filler. Impressive for the price.
High quality titanium oxide guides, not quite micro, but not as large as most "budget class" rods. My only nitpick is that white Daiwa stripe, which quite frankly is an eye sore and needs to go (same on the Fuego rods as well).
A nice touch- A protective rubber butt end with and embedded Daiwa logo. Daiwa also includes a free Daiwa sticker under the protective wrap over the cork. Sorry I didn't take a picture of that, it went right onto one of my tackle boxes.


While the actions and number of models available for the Procyon might seem a bit limited, rest assured that each action and length are more versatile than the more typical, crowded, specific duty lineups from other manufacturers, to which I personally prefer. If you want a big durable rod that isn't heavy, has quality components, and has killer action, do not pass up the Procyon series by Daiwa. Take a peek at one and give it a practice swing. This particular model made me think and reconsider some of the choices I've made for rods in my current lineup. Certainly I won't replace all of my rods, but a few might have to step aside for the Procyons.

In short, the Daiwa Procyon feels like a high end rod without the price tag. And because of that, you won't worry too much about scratching it or banging it around the car or boat. Likely, you'll be thinking about fishing with it instead of worrying about scratching it or breaking it and to me that is a huge advantage over high end rods.

Surprised? Yes. Also, very much impressed (and I did not expect to be). I'll update this review or I'll feature this rod in another article with some on the water experiences soon. I expect to catch some bass with it immediately!

If you like this review - here is a link for you...

Daiwa 7' 3" MH PCY731MHFB Procyon BEST CURRENT PRICE

Keep yourself hooked.

-Carl

Comments

Unknown said…
Great review!!! Thank you!!!

Popular Posts